Sunday, March 20, 2016

Ready to Run

The way you lock eyes with me,
Brush the hair off of my neck,
Kissing me gently,
All of these things and more,
Yet I'm still on the edge of my seat,
Ready to run,

Call it trust issues,
But I've seen this before,
Say I'm judging you based on the past,
But I know the pain that comes after quick burning desire,

You still held me through the night,
After I drank the whole bottle,
Smoked too many cigarettes,
And spilled my guts,
It's too good to be real,
I'm ready to run,

You can't hope to hold onto a woman like me,
I should've told you,
I've got the soul of the ocean,
I am chaos and peace in harmony,

Don't get too close to me,
The scars I've shown you are much worse than they appear,
I say I just want to be free and have fun,
But I'd rather not say the truth,
I'm afraid,
And at any moment I'm ready to run,

I'm a delicate balance of all things,
Something you probably won't be able to comprehend,
Yearning for someone to hold my hand,
But not hold me back,

Your eyes cut right through,
As I tell you the truth,
I've placed a bet,
Three months and you'll be a memory,
Call it pessimistic,
I'm ready to run,

I don't want to be in love with you,
When there's so much left for me to do alone,
I wonder if I'm just making an excuse,
To keep myself safe,

One drunken night and I'm left in a spin,
Attempting to sort though all the thoughts in my head,
My default mode has popped up again,
Your words taste so sweet,
Your touch leaves me a mess,
I'm ready to run at the first sign of trouble.


By: Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gratitude

I haven't been able to write for weeks,  I've stared at this page and wondered if I had finally run out of things to say,  Of course...