Sunday, March 6, 2016

Anything But Gray

Momma told me that life is mostly gray,
We go through the days without passion or excitement,
Riding out our routine,
But that's not how I want to live,

I don't want to go through life feeling just okay,
I'm not naive enough to think there's a type of happiness that lasts,
Or a way to stay on top of that mountain,
I just want anything but gray,

I want to live life in vibrant colors,
Whether it's deep blues or fiery reds,
I just want to see the beauty in every mood,
High or low,

Dad told me that God gives you the ability to see,
All the wonder in every little thing,
But I tried and it was all black and white,
That's no better than gray in my eyes,

I feel no shame for wanting more than just okay,
I know life isn't meant to be lived in black and white and gray,
The beauty of this world are colored highs and lows,
Even in the darkest depths of depression I at least felt indigo,

Lucky for those who have an artist's soul,
With the ability to paint over otherwise dull moments,
And break free of the monotonous mold,
And live a life colored by joy and misery and love and loss,

Proudly,
Anything but gray.

By: Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gratitude

I haven't been able to write for weeks,  I've stared at this page and wondered if I had finally run out of things to say,  Of course...