Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Fighting the Good Fight

Don't laugh,
Try not to cry,
This is not a fairy tale,
It's the story of my life,

It started an October night,
From that moment I knew I was adored,
I was given loving parents and older siblings,
A life many have lived before,

From there everything changed so quickly,
As a small child I didn't see it coming at all,
One day we were a family,
The next I was trading homes weekly,

There were new kids and a new mom,
A new house and new rules I didn't understand,
I was never given a chance to adjust,
This new world knocked me down just as I learned to stand,

With time I learned to love and forgive,
Building up what I had burned down with words like flames,
Just as this lesson was put into action,
I was uprooted again,

Death had taken away what I had come to cherish,
This new mom that loved me like her own,
This new world where I had found a home,
It was taken away in a flash,

So we moved forward together,
And my dad found love again,
That love had no room for his old life,
Which meant no place for me to rest my head,

I moved on alone,
I learned to stand on my own two feet,
Trust was scarce,
Loving anything meant defeat,

The days sped by as I grew a few years older,
I began to trust the people around me,
I started to unlearn destructive behavior,
The fighting seemed to finally be over,

So I opened my heart again,
I fell for the idea of a guy,
He promised me sanctuary and love,
He promised he would never be the one to make me cry,

What can I say,
Other than what has already been said,
You can probably guess the end of this story,
I bet it's already played through in your head,

My life is no fairy tale,
Not everything has worked out right,
But at least I've never stopped trying,
I've never given up fighting the good fight.

By: Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gratitude

I haven't been able to write for weeks,  I've stared at this page and wondered if I had finally run out of things to say,  Of course...