Tuesday, May 19, 2020

All Of Life Is A Stage

Close curtain, 
Exit stage right, 
I sit in front of a dimly lit mirror, 
And take off the face that was meant to please the crowd, 

Layer by layer, 
Peeling away the smile, 
Wiping away the wide eyes, 
Revealing the sadness underneath, 

They don't want to see this, 
My face at the end of the day, 
After tears have slid down my face, 
And my tired eyes burn red, 

This isn't what they know, 
They just want carefully painted happiness, 
And jokes about my failed attempts, 
Anything that buries what is real, 

Until its time to face the crowd again, 
I get to fall to pieces, 
Now that the lights are low, 
And there is no one to see my brokenness, 

Until it's time to take center stage again, 
I get to listen to the echos of this empty theater, 
And try to find solace in the silence,
Until it's time to put on that costume and perform, 

Then I'll take the stage,
And feel the full heat of the lights on me, 
Smile and begin again, 
To give them what they want to see, 

I'll be hiding underneath-
Layers of scripted lies, 
Layers of painted smiles,
That will leave me feeling empty,

And when the curtain falls, 
I'll be left alone again,
Wondering how long I can keep this up, 
Wondering how long I'll have to pretend. 


By: Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gratitude

I haven't been able to write for weeks,  I've stared at this page and wondered if I had finally run out of things to say,  Of course...