Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Hard Times

My heart feels like a molten stone,
Slowly hardening,
Still bubbling and beating beneath a layer of solid rock,

This isolation is smothering the river of fire in me,
Every day I feel a bit more of me turn cold,
Yet I can't manage to say the words that are trapped behind my gritting teeth,

I just want to fill my lungs with smoke, 
With every inhale I'll say a prayer,
Hoping that this cigarette will make the pain dissipate, 

Every moment spent in silence,
Feels like another step closer to a catastrophic explosion, 
One that cannot be contained,

Today my chest feels heavy from all the words I can't bring myself to say,
I can feel the words rise and fall with each breath I take,
I think that filling my lungs with smoke could help keep them at bay
-and somehow that will make things easier, 

I fight the feelings,
I choke back tears,
Feeling them dry up behind my eyes,

There is nothing quite as painful as this reality,
I know what I should do, 
But today it seems impossible, 

There is a river of life beneath the layers of my hardening heart,
And every day I can feel it drying up more and more,
Meanwhile all I can think to do is fill my lungs with smoke,

Maybe if I say another prayer, 
I'll get the answer I need to hear.

By: Alyssa 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gratitude

I haven't been able to write for weeks,  I've stared at this page and wondered if I had finally run out of things to say,  Of course...