Saturday, March 30, 2019

Crushed Doesn’t Seem To Cover It

Tonight words fall clumsily from my lips, 
I can barely manage to lay still, 
My eyes swell up with hot tears, 
But I have no choice,
I need to keep them held back, 
My heart feels like an anchor, 
Slowly pulled to the crushing blackness of the ocean,
I cannot be the one to hope all the time,
I cannot be the dreamer while I stare at a hundred red flags, 
I can barely stand most days,
I feel like screaming and screaming and screaming and screaming,
Just so that someone will turn around and see my face,
And see the hurt that I’m carrying around, 
I need someone to notice where I’m at, 
I need someone to hold my hand and not say a word,
I don’t want to be the one crossing my fingers and wishing, 
I don’t want to dream anymore,
It just feels like I’m being mocked by the ghost of what could be,
I just can’t bring myself to get up off the floor, 
I’ve been a stepping stool for other for so long, 
This place feels like home, 
But I know I’m not a step to something better, 
I am, within myself, a goal to be met,
But the words crumble before I can manage to speak, 
I foresee the fall out of my feelings being verbalized, 
There’s no point in rocking the boat,
Especially so late at night, 
I can barely breathe, 
But I need someone to hear me when I scream,
How else will I know if this is real? 


By: Alyssa 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gratitude

I haven't been able to write for weeks,  I've stared at this page and wondered if I had finally run out of things to say,  Of course...